Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Technique of the Week: Using Magenta Nuance on Regular 80# Card Stock


I was inspired this week by Teresa Staal, who is a member of Nib 'n Inks. Nib 'n Inks is the fabulous calligraphy group that makes the calendars that we sell at Art 'n Soul once a year.

Teresa did the lovely January page of the 2016 calendar, and she used Magenta Nuance on it!



Nuance colors are the wonderful powdered colors by Magenta. I use them constantly, but have always used them on watercolor paper, so I was inspired to try using them on a piece of regular Neenah Solar White, 80# cardstock. Although I didn't follow the same technique that Teresa did, I found my way.



I got out and used all of the blues and purples (Cerulean Blue; Turquoise; Royal Blue; Violet and Purple). I tapped just a little color onto the paper at a time, and moistened a sponge with a little spritz of pearly water. I rubbed the sponge on the paper to spread the color around. This method allows you to color the paper without getting it too wet. It's best not to use too much water, or rub too much - just enough to get the color spread evenly. I continued to tap color and rub with a damp sponge until I was happy with the look.

I love this method! Not only can you use regular cardstock, I think it gives more control over where the color is placed.

To finish the card, I stamped the bottom of the panel with Magenta  07.457.H Peace on Earth with Versamark ink (I think a lot of my Christmas cards are going to feature this sentiment this year). I embossed the sentiment with Judikins White Diamond embossing powder.

I then die cut a snowflake into the panel. One of my favorite dies this year is Memory Box Dazzling Snowflake 99041. It cuts a beautiful star shaped snowflake into your card. I used this die on my panel, and it's just the right size for an A2 (4.25" x 5.5") card.

I took another piece of white cardstock and covered it with Versamark ink and used White Diamond embossing powder on the whole piece. 

I placed the blue snowflake panel onto the piece of White Diamond cardstock. The sparkly shine of the White Diamond shows through the openings in the snowflake beautifully, as well as showing around the edges of the panel. I mounted the piece onto a base card and scattered a few sequins.

People have asked me how I put sequins onto a card, and this is what I do: First I lay out the sequins onto the panel until I like how they look. I usually use an odd number and sprinkle them in a diagonal line. I squeeze some Ranger Multi Medium Matte onto my craft sheet. This is the only glue I will use for sequins. I have tried many others, and this is the one that works the best for me. I pick up each sequin, dip into the glue and place back on the card. Wait for them to dry and they will be firmly affixed.

I hope you try this technique with Nuance. It's fun, fast, and creates a lovely effect.

Magenta Products Used:
MNU001 Turquoise
MNU003 Purple
MNU011 Cerulean Blue
MNU012 Violet
MNU013 Royal Blue
07.457.H Peace on Earth

Other Products Used:
Memory Box 99041 Dazzling Snowflake
Judikins White Diamond embossing powder
Versamark Ink
Neenah Solar White 80# card stock
Various sequins
Ranger Multi Medium Matte adhesive

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful. It's so eye-catching with that blue background and white snowflake. The peace on earth sentiment is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne