Pages

Monday, April 30, 2018

Distress Oxide Glaze Technique: Black and White

I have a friend who really likes darker, more somber colors. This is the opposite of me! I love rich, jewel tones, but I respect my friend's preferences, so every year I make her a birthday card in black and white.



This year I thought I would try to make her card using black alcohol ink, but I couldn't make it work. When thinned with additional alcohol, the black alcohol ink turns into shades of pink and blue. It's very odd. So I decided to use the Distress Oxide glaze technique instead; which usually ends up looking a little like alcohol ink to me.

You can see my post on how to do the Distress Oxide glaze technique here. For this card, I used only the Black Soot Distress Oxide. I put it on my mat and spritzed it with water and "smooshed" the glossy cardstock into the ink several times; drying in between each smoosh. I intentionally left  a little more white space on this panel that previous ones.

I die cut the glazed panel and also a piece of black cardstock with the MFT-463 Blueprints 13 stitched rectangle die to give them my favorite finished edge. I then cut both pieces at an angle, like the cards in my previous post.

Using a stamp positioner platform, I took a lovely new floral stamp that I recently acquired from Gina K Designs, 4365 "You Make Me Smile" and stamped it simultaneously onto the black and the glazed pieces of cardstock, using Versafine Onyx Black ink.

I embossed the black panel with JudiKins Opaque White embossing powder, and the glazed panel using JudiKins detail clear embossing powder. Although I have learned that inks other that StazOn do not dry properly on the glazed surface, you can emboss your stamping, and it doesn't hurt the surface.

I stamped the sentiment from Savvy Stamps at the top of the black panel, and embossed it with white embossing powder as well. I adhered both panels to a piece of Stardream Silver cardstock and used a small strip of the silver across the seam of the two pieces. I mounted the whole thing onto a card base of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock.

I hope you like how it turned out, and even more, I hope she did! Before you go, here's a photo (sorry for the quality, it was taken with my phone) of her card from last year. It was a specially made mini masterpiece card. In real life this card turned out very pretty with some silver foil accents. You can see how the mini masterpiece cards are made here, here, and some die cut mini masterpieces here, here, and here. There are more too; just search the blog for mini masterpiece. So fun. 



Products Used (Oxide Glaze card)
Gina K Designs stamp 4365 You Make Me Smile
Savvy Stamp 1425D Best Birthday
Distress Oxide - Black Soot
Distress Glaze Medium
Versamark ink
Versafine Onyx Black ink
JudiKins Clear Detail embossing powder
JudiKins Opaque White embossing powder
Ranger Alcohol Ink cardstock
Papertrey Ink True Black cardstock
Stardream Silver cardstock
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock
MFT-463 Blueprints 13 die




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne