Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Technique of the Week: Nuance Spin Art

One of our customers at Art 'n Soul, Sue Wright, brought this technique to me, and agreed to let me use it for Technique of the Week. Sue brought in a salad spinner and we made some backgrounds then and there. Here's one card I made, and this card is also on the Magenta blog today.

This is a perfect fun art project for kids and grandkids. It's fun and the mess is contained pretty well.


It's a good idea to obtain a used salad spinner from the local thrift store. I preferred not to use the salad spinner that I use for food. Some of the spinners don't have an enclosed bottom to them. If you get one like this, you can place it onto a paper plate or bowl so that the mess would be contained.



To begin, Sue said to get some poster putty, make a donut from it, and place it in the center of the spinner basket.


This serves two purposes: first it levels the center which usually has a small bump; second is that when you place your watercolor cardstock into the basket, it will stick down to the putty.


In playing with this technique, I used several different papers, including Bristol and Strathmore watercolor paper. I liked how the color moved the best with the Tim Holtz watercolor cardstock.

I tapped Nuance powder onto the cardstock after placing it into the basket and pressing it down not the putty.


I then sprayed the cardstock liberally with water. You can use plain water, or water mixed with Perfect Pearls powder.


I put the top on the spinner quickly and spun it as fast as I could.


At first this is what I got, and it's pretty, but I wanted a little more color in the center. I tapped more of the Scarlet Nuance into the center, sprayed and spun it again.


I love this! I like how you can keep adding powder, spraying and spinning until you get something you really like. This panel said "celebrate" to me.

To make my card, I let it dry naturally, although you could hurry the drying with a heat tool. I die cut the panel with the Die-namics MFT-483 Blueprints 13 die. I stamped the Magenta Graceful Poppies stamp and the Happy Birthday sentiment with Versafine Onyx Black ink. To accentuate the "celebrate" look of the card, I stamped the Magenta Flowery Ink Spot stamp several times on the panel with Distress Barn Door ink.

I mounted the panel onto a piece of Black So Silk cardstock and then adhered it to a base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock.


This was the second background I made, and then I made a few more.


I shared this technique with the staff, and we got together and had a great deal of fun spraying and spinning.





One of the things I did when the staff got together to make these is to wipe out the spinners on many of the staff's panels with paper towels.

I got these paper towels from doing that.


Some of you may remember what I do with beautifully colored paper towels. You can make gorgeous  patterned cardstock with these. You can look at how to do this here on my blog on a technique called Upcycled Paper Towel.

Here is one more card I made using a panel from the spinner technique.


I made this card using one of the new 2017 Holiday Collection dies from Memory Box, as well as a beautiful Magenta stamp. I cut the Memory Box Snowy Cabin die from white cardstock. Then using the Die-namics MFT-860 Inside/out Stitched Squares die, I cut the blue and purple panel AND the Snowy Cabin die cut. I wanted the Snowy Cabin die cut to just fit onto the bottom of the panel.

I used the same square dies to cut a frame from silver glitter paper, and the inside of the frame is the size of the panel and Snowy Cabin die cut. I adhered these pieces to a base card, and stamped the Magenta Peace on Earth sentiment with Versafine Onyx Black ink.

I think these spinner panels are great for lots of kinds of cards, but especially for a celebration. I loved doing these and I hope you will give it a try. I will try to make some cards with the paper towels and show them in a later post.

Card #1:

Magenta Products Used
(If you are local, please look for products at Art 'n Soul. If you are not local and wish to find Magenta products, you can click on the link in the stamp or product name below each image, or you can visit the Magenta online store here).

37.288.M Graceful Poppies

07.305.G Happy Birthday

0362.E Flowery Ink Spot

MNU002 Bright Yellow

MNU006 Orange

MNU008 Golden Yellow

MNU010 Scarlet

Other Products Used:
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Distress Barn Door ink
YNS Clear & Sparkle Gumdrops
Tim Holtz Watercolor paper
So Silk Black Cardstock
Die-namics MFT-483 Blueprints 13
Salad spinner

Card #2
Magenta Products Used
(If you are local, please look for products at Art 'n Soul. If you are not local and wish to find Magenta products, you can click on the link in the stamp or product name below each image, or you can visit the Magenta online store here).

07.457.H Peace on Earth

MNU001 Turquoise

MNU007 Raspberry

MNU011 Cerulean Blue

MNU013 Royal Blue

Other Products Used:
Memory Box 99785 Snowy Cabin Die
Die-namics MFT-860 Inside/Out Stitched Squares
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Tim Holtz Watercolor Paper
Silver Glitter paper
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock
Salad spinner




7 comments:

  1. I love the results.
    We normally use a kids toy for this technique, the so called spin and splash. But that is hard to get overhere. A salad spinner is just genious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful play results Dianne, love that technique. I have a spin and splash machine but a salad spinner will also do the same, great idea! Now more playing time needed.......warmly Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I'm definitely going to try this once I buy a salad spinner! I've wanted one for salad for years but never got one but now this makes it a must have LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super fun technique and beautiful cards as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina, I'm so terribly sorry! The Notify me button is a gadget of blogger and I can't find a way to turn it off for you. Are you receiving comments on all of my posts? I went through my posts all the way back to last April and didn't find a comment from you. I thought if I deleted your comment then maybe it would no longer bother or send emails to you. Can you tell me the post that you commented on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. This looks like fun. Your cards are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne