Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Distress Oxide Glaze Technique: Two Cards from Each Background

I love the layout I used on these cards because it actually helps stretch the beautiful backgrounds that you have made. Since these cards are cut in half diagonally, you can get two cards with each background panel. To see my post about how to make a panel using the Distress Oxide Glaze technique, please click here. After making multiple panels using this technique, I have been posting cards using them.


I made four cards using this layout and this first one was for my daughter's birthday. The top image is a really lovely stamp from Magenta's 2018 Spring catalog. I stamped it with Hero Arts White Unicorn ink onto Patertrey Ink's True Black cardstock, and colored on top of the white ink with colored pencils. 

Stamping and coloring onto black cardstock using this stamp was inspired by my friend Pam Nelson. She stamped this image onto black cardstock with Versamark ink, embossed it with white embossing powder, and colored with Copic markers. Her cards using this technique are stunning, and I hope soon you will be able to see them on the Magenta blog.


One of the things I discovered early on in working with the Distress Oxide Glazed panels is that ink doesn't dry well on the glaze sealed surface. Happily, I also found that you can put clear embossing powder over your stamping, and it doesn't seem to hurt the surface to heat emboss over it, as I did with my daughter's card.


Another thing you can do is to add a die cut sentiment to the card, and that is what I did with the card above, where I used a Savvy Stacked Happy Birthday sentiment cut from True Black cardstock from Papertrey Ink.

In each of these cards I tried to match the colors of the flowers to the colors on the Oxide panel, and I also tried out two different types of colored pencils. The two cards above are done with Prismacolors.


The card above uses another Savvy birthday die, and I used Polychromos pencils from Faber-Castell. Maybe it's because I'm so much more used to Prismacolor pencils, or maybe it's because I only have 36 colors of the Polychromos, but I have to say that I am still a fan of the Prismacolors. I found the Polychromos pencils harder to blend, although initially they go down more smoothly.

I made these cards mostly Happy Birthday cards because I have a lot of birthdays coming up that I need cards for, but this last one is a "Thinking of You" - another type of card that I like to send.


Both the black panel and glazed panel were cut out using the Die-Namics MFT-463 Blueprints 13 die, which cut them to 5.25" x 4". After coloring the black panels, I cut them and also the Distress Oxide glazed panels at an angle. I pieced them together onto a piece of colored cardstock and added a strip of the same color as the mat to cover the seam between the pieces.  After adding the sentiment to each panel, I adhered them to a base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock.

I will list all of my materials, including the specific mat cardstock, Distress Oxide colors and pencils I used below. There are links to the Magenta website for any Magenta stamps used.

I will have one more card to share with you soon, using this same layout. I think you might find it surprising. After that, I promise I will have some cards using the Distress Oxide Glazed panels that have different layouts.  One of the things that some people have told me is hard for them is to use busy backgrounds like this. These backgrounds are so beautiful, and they remind me of alcohol inked panels. Stay tuned!

Products used for all the cards:

Magenta Floral Burst 14.664.P
Papertrey Ink True Black cardstock
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock
Hero Arts Unicorn White ink
Distress Glaze Medium
Ranger Alcohol Ink cardstock
MFT-463 Die-namics Blueprints 13 die

Card #1 Happy Birthday Morgan
Additional products used:

Savvy stamp 1425D Best Birthday
Versafine Onyx Black ink
JudiKins clear detail embossing powder
Distress Oxide inks: Worn Lipstick, Picked Raspberry,
Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey
Prismacolor Pencils: PC917 Sunburst Yellow, PC1002 Yellowed Orange, 
PC921 Pale Vermillion, PC928 Blush Pink, PC029 Pink,
PC994 Process Red, PC1005 Lime peel, PC988 Marine Green
Curious Metallics Super Gold cardstock

Card #2 Stacked Happy Birthday
Additional products used:

Magenta Floral Center 18.089.E
Savvy die #10227 Happy Birthday Stacked
Distress Oxide inks: Lucky Clover, Peacock Feathers, 
Salty Ocean, Worn Lipstick, Wilted Violet,
Squeezed Lemonade
Prismacolor Pencils: PC917 Sunburst Yellow, PC1002 Yellowed Orange, 
PC921 Pale Vermillion, PC992 Light Aqua, PC905 Aquamarine,
PC105 Cobalt Turquoise, PC1005 Lime peel, PC988 Marine Green
So Silk Glamour Green cardstock

Card #3 Script Happy Birthday
Additional products used:

Savvy die #10221 Happy Birthday
Distress Oxide inks: Wilted Violet, Picked Raspberry,
Peacock Feathers, Squeezed Lemonade, Wild Honey
Polychromos Pencils: 168 Earth Green Yellowish, 112 Leaf Green,
107 Cadmium Yellow, 184 Dark Naples Ochre, 249 Mauve, 
133 Magenta, 101 White, 110 Pthalo Blue, 153 Cobalt Turquoise
So Silk Passion Purple cardstock

Card #4 Thinking of You
Additional Products used:

Papertrey Ink die PTD1273 Thinking of You
Distress Oxide inks: Wilted Violet, Spiced Marmalade, 
Wild Honey, mermaid Lagoon, Peeled Paint
Prismacolor Pencils: PC928 Blush Pink, PC029 Pink,
PC994 Process Red, PC917 Sunburst Yellow, PC1002 Yellowed Orange, 
PC921 Pale Vermillion, PC1005 Lime peel, PC988 Marine Green
So Silk Beauty Pink cardstock


2 comments:

  1. Your cards are so beautiful! Very clever with the diagonal and stretching your backgrounds. I really need to get some of those inks now that I've seen what you have made with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jutta! I'm so glad you like them. I have been on kind of a roll with the Oxide inks lately :-) If you have not seen all the other posts, you can search for Distress Oxide on my blog and all of the posts will come up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne