Sunday, September 1, 2013

September Magenta Challenge

We have a new Magenta Challenge!

Magenta Challenge - September 2013 :
Anything Goes!  Make a Card, a Layout, Mixed Media piece, ATC, anything you desire.

Use any color scheme you wish!  You just need to use some Magenta products for your creation.

You can win this fantastic Magenta prize!

To enter, go here and use linkz to enter your creation

Here's what I created

by Dianne Johnson
Magenta Stamps Used:  Samara Branch 42.184.J; Colors and Shapes 07.805.I
Magenta Paper:  Red Canvas sheet
Distress Stains: Aged Mahogany; Peeled Paint; Spiced Marmalade; Tea Dye;
Mustard Seed
Gold Detail Embossing Powder from Judikins
Jet Black StazOn Ink; Versamark
Hero Hues Pearls
Embossing Folder:  Branches with Leaves & Flowers Sizzix 657252

First, I stamped the Samara Branch onto Kraft cardstock with Versamark, and embossed with Gold Detail embossing powder.  

I love the Distress Stains from Ranger, which have a dauber top.  If you have a new bottle of Distress Stain, be sure to press in the dauber top once to open the valve.  Then you can turn the bottle upside down and press the top onto your paper while you squeeze the bottle lightly to apply as much stain as you like.  

I tested the colors I have onto a scrap piece of Kraft cardstock.  I'm glad I took this extra step, because some of the colors really soak into the Kraft, and some appear brighter.  They look completely different than they do on white cardstock.  And I..uh..might have contaminated some of my dauber tops with metallic Distress Stains on a previous project.  That's ok though, because these can be cleaned off.  Here's my test swatch:

Distress Stain samples on Kraft

I chose the fall colors I liked the best and went from there.  Oh, and if you do a test swatch like this, wear an apron and cover your table.  Some of the colors are juicier than others.  Just sayin'.

I ended up making a larger card than I normally do.  I was just experimenting with the Samara stamp and the stains, and I liked it so much I didn't want to cut it down.  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of Vellum and mounted it in the middle with vellum adhesive.  I added a sprinkling of pearls from the top left to the bottom right.  

This card was so much fun to do!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.