Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Technique of the Week: Create Your Own Die Cut Embellishments

This post is in conjunction with the Art 'n Soul newsletter. To visit the Art 'n Soul blog, and access archived newsletters, please click here.


This is such a simple technique, and so pretty! I used one of the new 2016 Spring collection Poppy dies (Bellina Butterfly Stem 1391); a Nuance background; and Magenta stamp Sending you warm thoughts (07.806.K).

First I prepared a Nuance background by applying Nuance powder to a dry piece of watercolor card stock. I used Orange, Golden Yellow, Bright Yellow and Red initially. I then sprayed the powdered panel liberally with pearly water (mix 1/4 tsp of Perfect Pearls Pearl powder into 2 oz water). After spraying, I tapped some Jade Green Nuance into the mix, and let dry.

I die cut the focal point out of white fun foam. It cut pretty easily, even though it is a fairly detailed image.





I sprayed the front of the die cut with spray adhesive, and put it into a tub of glitter. I got the idea for this from Laura Bassen, and I love the glittery, sugar-frosted look of it. I then sprayed adhesive on the back of the die cut and adhered it to the Nuance panel.



For the sentiment, I used a favorite Magenta stamp, "Sending you warm thoughts for a speedy recovery." I have a friend who is recovering from knee surgery, and I love this stamp because recovering from surgery does not mean you are sick, and this sentiment is not a command to "get well." 


I had to split the stamp using a stamp positioner to make it fit. If you have not already seen the tutorial post on my blog for this, and you are not familiar with using a stamp positioner, you can view the post here. Scroll down to the end of that post for the tutorial.



I stamped the sentiment with Versamark ink, and embossed it with Judikins White Diamond embossing powder. I sprinkled a few sequins around and adhered them with Ranger Multi Medium Matte. The panel was mounted on a white card base. 

This technique was so easy and fun to do! I hope you'll give it a try.

Magenta Products Used
07.806.K Sending you warm thoughts
MNU002 Bright Yellow
MNU004 Jade
MNU006 Orange
MNU008 Golden Yellow
MNU015 Red
Other Products Used
Poppy Die 1391 Bellina Butterfly Stem
Fun Foam
White Glitter
Versamark Ink
Judikins White Diamond Embossing Powder
Various Sequins
Tim Holtz Watercolor card stock
Ranger Multi medium matte adhesive

2 comments:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne