Pages

Friday, July 26, 2019

Magenta Super Saturday: Brushed Distress Flowers

Hi all! I'm over at the Magenta blog today, and you can see that post here.

I needed to make a card for a good friend who loves to garden, and is having a Summer birthday. I've been having so much fun with these makeup brushes that blend like a dream, so I pulled them out, along with some Distress Ink. 



I taped a panel of Neenah Solar White 80# cardstock to the back of Magenta stencil TM267 Field of Flowers, using painter's tape so it wouldn't shift.

I started with a smaller brush, and applied Festive Berries Distress Ink to the centers of the flowers. I then used Spun Sugar Distress to color the rest of the petals. I flicked some water drops onto the panel and set it aside to dry.

I taped another panel of the same cardstock to the back of the stencil and using Spun Sugar Distress and a light touch, I created a second panel. I added Imagine Sheer Shimmer Sparkle Spritz to both panels. This sparkle is so pretty in real life, but nearly impossibly to photograph.

I cut the lighter panel down to 1.75" wide and 5" long, and added the sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink. I matted the narrow panel with black to make it stand out. Matching the patterns, I adhered the panels together and mounted the whole thing onto another black mat, and then onto a base card. 

By the way, I love this Magenta sentiment, because it works for lots of occasions. I particularly like it for a birthday card. This was an easy and fast card to make, using minimal supplies, so a perfect summer project!


I continue to be amazed at how nicely these makeup brushes blend, especially through a stencil. I got mine at Amazon, but you can also find them at a reasonable price here (they are currently on sale). I have also seen them at Daiso, the Japanese discount store (sorry if you do not have a Daiso in your area, it looks like they only sell large lots online). Taylored Expressions also has a really cute set of them that have colored handles, and these are definitely on my want list! I like the rainbow colored handles, and I like that they are all the perfect size for blending. Taylored Expressions are sold out of these brushes, but expect to have more in stock in late August. If you want to be notified, you can do so here.


Magenta Products used

TM267 Field of Flowers Stencil

07.969.F have a Beautiful day!

Other Products used:

Distress Inks: Festive Berries, Spun Sugar
Imagine Sheer Shimmer Sparkle Spritz
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Neenah Solar White 80# & 110# cardstock
So Silk Black Style Cardstock
Blending Brushes


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Diane, stencil blending is one of my favourite techniques :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne, I saw lots of folks purchasing the Picket Fences brushes at Impress' recent sale (yay for seeing you there!). I thought they were sponges so I didn't look at them. Do you need different brushes for each color you use or are they easy to clean between colors? I see there's also different sizes - any suggestions on those? Thanks! From Laura P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura! It was great to see you! I also saw a lot of people buying those brushes at Impress. I got my first set on Amazon because I just wanted to try them out, and the price point is very good. (just look for makeup blending brushes, and they will show up) My set came with a large variety of small, medium and large brushes. I like having the small ones for very small areas, but I'm not going to get more of those - I will just clean them well between uses. Since that first set, I have been buying the medium and large ones on Amazon. I want the Taylored Expressions brushes to use with Oxides only, and it's on my wish list for my birthday :) I think you only really need one medium or large brush for each color family. Think ROY G BIV then one for neutrals. When I use them, I clean them off on a paper towel and honestly, not a lot comes off on the paper towel, so I'm really not worried about contamination. I did see a Kristine Werner video where she washed her brushes with soap and water, but I don't think you would have to do this very often (if ever). I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne