Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

Super Saturday at Magenta: Happy Zen Birthday

Hi! I'm over at the Magenta blog today and you can see that post here.

I think we can all agree that guy cards are the hardest to make. I learned this new technique called "reverse stenciling" from Rina and Gina Krupsky on a Gina K Designs video. You can see their video here.


Basically, it involves creating a background by blending inks onto a white piece of cardstock. You then apply black ink through your stencil. It's easy and really ingenious. I feel like this looks almost like a stamp. In reality it's a stencil from the Magenta Zen Trio stencil collection, inspired by some Zentangle patterns I drew for them.


I chose 3 colors of Distress ink to blend for this card. You can see that I wasn't too careful about blending perfectly; it really will not matter. I did splash some water droplets onto the panel.


I then taped the panel to the stencil and applied black ink using a blending brush. I used Versafine ink, and later on another card I tried Distress Black Soot (after a friend said that she had had success with the Distress ink). I admit that this part seemed a little messy to me and I had to use some of my spray alcohol to clean my stencils (especially with the Versafine) There is a resin in Versafine ink, and it did not want to clean off the stencil - even with soap and water. Alcohol worked fine to clean it.


Here's my finished background piece. I absolutely love how this turns out. I will do some more with other types of stencils. This one is perfect for a guy card, and will be for my 15 year old grandson. This technique will also work just fine for any kind of card you are making, depending on the stencil.

A tip is that if you choose a stencil with more plastic than openings, you will have a more colorful result. If you choose one with thin plastic lines and big openings, you will have a lot of black on your panel. I like the pretty, blended colors to show.

To finish my card, I cut a square of black cardstock and stamped the sentiment from the Magenta Wishing You Happy Birthday set with Versamark and embossed in white. I actually cut the Happy Birthday off the bottom of this stamp to use it separately. You can, of course still use the pieces together if you do this.

I die cut the panel with my new favorite, The Greetery Crimped Frame die, and mounted it onto a black mat panel and then onto a base card.

I attached the sentiment to mimic the diamond shape of the stencil pattern, and adhered it with foam tape to pop it up a little. I added 3 gems for just a bit of sparkle.

My grandsons are so sweet and always remark on my cards. On some recent cards, one of them said "Thanks for the Birthday cards. I like the art in the cards..." This one gets cards for life ;-)

Magenta Products Used:

TM54 Zen Trio

07.1034.I
Other Products Used:

Distress Ink: Fossilized Amber,
Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean
Versafine ink
Blending brushes
The Greetery GD-M-016 Crimped Frame Die
Versamark ink
JudiKins Opaque White embossing powder
PTI True Black cardstock
Neenah Solar White 80# & 110# cardstock
Rainbow jewels from Lucy's Little Things




2 comments:

  1. Loving the technique and you're so right about cards for men. Thanks for sharing this great card, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne