Pages

Friday, October 9, 2015

Technique of the Week: Stencil Kissing



In conjunction with the Art 'n Soul newsletter article "Technique of the Week" this week, I tried a technique called "Stencil Kissing." I got this technique from a customer (you know who you are). You may recall a previous technique called Stamp Kissing. This is similar, but uses a stencil to transfer the pattern, rather than a detailed stamp. A very detailed stencil is the best for this technique.






1. First, get a stamp with a lot of solid area. I used Magenta 0685.O Bird on Branch Silhouette.



2. I inked up the stamp with a range of Memento colors, starting with the lightest first (Dandelion, Canteloupe, Tangelo, Morocco, Potter's Clay, and Rhubarb Stalk). I wanted a variety of Fall colors for my image.







3. I chose several Magenta stencils to experiment with (TM140 Daisy Love; MC01 Blossoms; and one of the Zen Trio Templates TM54). The one I used to make into my card was TM140 Daisy Love.
 The pictures I'm showing here are using all three of these stencils.





4. Once my stamp was well inked, I stamped it down onto the stencil. This lifts some color from the stamp and leaves the pattern.





5. I then pressed the stamp onto a piece of white cardstock and the patterned image was transferred. 




6. I added a "Thinking of You" sentiment using Magenta 07.869.D, stamped in Memento Potter's Clay, and cut the image out using the Memory Box die MB 30036 Stitched Circle Layers (second largest size).



7. To finish the card, I mounted the image onto a piece of watercolor paper that was colored with Magenta Nuance colors in Bright Yellow, Golden Yellow, Grass Green and Jade. The colors were activated with "pearly water" (mixture of 2 oz water and 1/4 tsp perfect pearls powder).


8. The panel was adhered to a base card, and I sprinkled on a few sequins, sticking them down with Ranger Multi Medium matte adhesive. I did 3 stampings, and I absolutely love how all of them turned out. I hope you give this a try!

Magenta Stamps and Stencils used:

Magenta Nuance colors used:

MNU-002  Bright Yellow
MNU-008 Golden Yellow
MNU-009  Grass Green
MNU-004  Jade

Other Products used:

Memento Inks: Dandelion, Canteloupe, Tangelo, Morocco, Potter's Clay, Rhubarb Stalk
Memory Box die: MB 30036 Stitched Circle Layers
Tim Holtz watercolor paper
Perfect Pearls Pearl powder
Various sequins
Ranger Multi Medium matte (the best thing for gluing sequins)
Neenah Solar white 110# card stock



4 comments:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne