Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Technique of the Week: Double Embossing

As you all may know, there are two main kinds of embossing that we do. One is "dry embossing", where you emboss the paper with either a stencil or embossing folder, using a die cut machine or an embossing stylus. The other is heat embossing, where you apply powder to ink on your paper and heat it until it melts. For this technique, we are doing both kinds!


RUBBER MAT
Before I get into the technique, I want to talk about rubber mats. To emboss a stencil or die using your die cut machine (Big Shot or Cuttlebug) you need a rubber mat. In this technique I used a regular rubber mat (Spellbinders tan mat) and had to shim with 5 pieces of cardstock to get it to make an adequate impression. Lynell Harlow, who pioneered this technique, developed a thicker mat to use, that works much better. Art 'n Soul is going to try to obtain some of these mats from Stampendous. Lynell has said that Stampendous has some in stock, but it's uncertain whether they will continue to carry it. We plan to try to get them in before Lynell's classes in August (which you should not miss; please scroll down for details) Please order one of these mats from Art 'n Soul if you want one, because they may not be available indefinitely.

Now for this technique: I should say that I learned this from Lynell Harlow, and it's not only beautiful, but it's fun to do. My way is slightly different from Lynell's, but both work.




I chose the Magenta Triangles stencil (TM-221) for this technique. I cut a panel of 80# Neenah Solar White cardstock to 3.75" x 5", using the Lawn Fawn LF-768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables die. 



I taped the panel to the back of the stencil and embossed it in my Big Shot machine.




Every machine is different, and you may have to figure out the appropriate sandwich for your machine. For mine, I opened Tab 1 (you should set up your machine the way you would to emboss with an embossing folder) and I put down a metal shim, my rubber mat, 5 pieces of shim cardstock, my stencil with the panel taped to it, and both cutting plates.



Once my panel was dry embossed, I added color using a mini blender and Distress Oxide inks in Wilted Violet, Broken China, and Cracked Pistachio. (The panel was still taped to the stencil at this point).



If you move quickly with this process, you can remove the stencil and add your embossing powder to your panel, since Oxide inks are a fusion of dye and pigment inks and can be heat embossed. Unfortunately, since I did not move quickly enough, the bottom of my panel had dried. I replaced the stencil and added Versamark ink with a mini blending tool and added clear embossing powder over the panel. 



Once the panel was heat set, I decided to add another coat of clear embossing, so I placed the stencil again and added more Versamark ink, then more clear embossing powder. 



Placing the stencil is very easy at this point, because the triangles and squares have become raised up by the double embossing.


Once I had the second layer of embossing done, I absolutely loved the look of the shiny and bright triangles and squares!



I cut a strip of the panel, matted it in So Silk Glamour Green cardstock, and adhered it to my base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock.


I then die cut "Thank You" out of glossy black cardstock, using the Hero Arts Fancy Thank You die DI080.

I sprinkled a few sequins at the end, and I still have half a panel to make another card. I hope you try this beautiful technique! Come in and see the card at the shop, it is so cool in real life. If this technique appeals to you, please check out Lynell Harlow's 4 new incredible stencil classes.

Magenta Products Used:
(If you are local, please look for products at Art 'n Soul. If you are not local and wish to find Magenta products, you can click on the link in the stamp or product name below each image, or you can visit the Magenta online store here).

TM221 Triangles
Other Products Used:
Distress Oxide inks: Wilted Violet,
Broken China, Cracked Pistachio
Versamark ink
JudiKins clear detail embossing powder
Lawn Fawn LF768 Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables
Hero Arts DI080 Fancy Thank You
Glossy black cardstock
So Silk Glamour Green cardstock
Neenah Solar White 80# & 110# cardstock

13 comments:

  1. Wow. This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you - can you tell me where to get the rubber mat for die cutting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. templarlady, I'm not sure where you are, or what outlets you have access to, but the one I use came from Spellbinders. You may find the same or similar products if you search for rubber mat, embossing mat, or embossing pad. If you are in the US, and you can't find one locally, you can try from Scrapbook.com, Simon Says Stamp, or directly from Spellbinders. I can't find any place that still carries the thick rubber mat that Dreamweaver Stencils used to carry, but you can achieve the same result with extra shims if needed. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. This is so cool; it looks like tiles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne