Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Winter Florals With Marker Watercolor Technique

 This is one of my favorite cards this year. I learned this technique from a video by Kristina Werner. You can see her video here. I have to say that it's a bit harder than it looks, but still it was very fun. Kristina used Karin markers, but I don't have those, so I used Tombows. I have it on good authority that I might be getting Karin markers for Christmas.


I really like that the colors are a bit non-traditional for Christmas. I keep coloring my poinsettias all in pretty much the same red, and have been wanting to try something different.


I cut 6 panels of Bristol cardstock to 4.25" x 5.5", and stamped the Simon Says Stamp Winter Florals using Versamark ink. I embossed the images with gold embossing powder. After taping the panels to some boards, I scribbled Tombow markers in different areas of the stamped panels. I used a #10 paintbrush loaded with water to move the scribbles around and smooth them out. The panel on the left shows how I scribbled color onto it, and the panel on the right is after I applied water. 


This is what the panels look like after I applied water to the scribbles.


Once all of the panels were dry, I went back with the markers, and colored each flower, leaf and berry. I was putting down color over the lighter colors underneath. I added the color where I wanted it to be the darkest, and used a brush to draw the color out.


These are all of the panels after I added the final color. Once the panels were dry, I cut them to 4" x 5.25", and then cut them in half, so that I had 12 panels that were 2" x 5.25".


I stamped 12 base cards with the lovely Merry Christmas stamp by Sally Penley from Magenta. I used Versamark ink and embossed the sentiment in gold. I matted each panel with gold cardstock and adhered them to the base cards.


I hope you like them! I want to try this technique again. It needs to be just the right background stamp; one that has images with some background.

Products Used:
Simon Says Stamp SSS102023 Winter Floral Mix
Tombow Markers: 676, 685, 725, 845, 946, 
055, 126, 133, 173, 195, 373
Versamark Ink
Gold Embossing Powder
Bristol cardstock
Curious Metallics Super Gold cardstock
Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock


12 comments:

  1. I was so lucky to receive one of these cards. Those colors are so vibrant, so gorgeous. I'm going to watch the video. Thanks Dianne for this gorgeous gorgeous card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure Mariëtte! I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. Love the colors! So, you have a direct line to Santa? Don't abuse it! :) From Laura P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Well, let's just say one of Santa's helpers may have given me a hint ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your cards are beautiful! Thank you for the detailed instructions - it's so refreshing to read that on a blog. You give your readers confidence to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Char, it means a lot to me for you to say that. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Dianne, this technique is one I really have to try. love the cards :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are stunning! Those vibrant colors and embossing are a serious “pop” on white. I just want to stop everything right now and make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe! Thank you for sharing your wonderful techniques Dianne, as you always have!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit me again soon.
Dianne